Sunday, April 27, 2008

THE WAY HOME

One day, last spring during my photojournalism class, my instructor gave us an impromtu assignment. We had a little less than two hours to go out and take a “news-worthy” photograph. I remember the day and the immediate dismay that rose up within me when I got the news. I was grumpy and definitely not in the mood to go image hunting.

The first thing I did was to consider whether or not I should stay on campus. The parameters of the assignment were simple: There had to be at least one person in the photograph and the image had to tell a story. There were plenty of student bodies around to complete the task at hand. Technically, you could shoot someone taking a drink out of the closest water fountain. I didn't want to settle for the quick fix image. It is just not in my nature.

I got in my car and started to drive. For the next hour, I carefully scanned the roadways without the benefit of a final destination. I hit a few stores and eventually went to Whole Foods Market. I considered taking a shot of the pizza maker throwing a pizza by the brick oven. Interesting, but not compelling. I was driving aimlessly and time was running out. I wasted about an hour before I decided to pray. It's the one thing I should have done from the get-go.

Behind the wheel of my little Toyota I said out loud, “Lord, you know what it is that I need. You are the One who has given me this gift. I believe with all my heart that you have something in store for me by using this camera. I will use it to glorify You. Please provide for me the picture that I need……”

I had not even finished my prayer before the Lord answered me. I looked to my left and there was one of the strangest sights I had ever seen. It was a man dressed in rags with a huge burden of a pack on his back. He looked like he had walked out of John Bunyan’s Pilgrim’s Progress. In a state of disbelief I uttered, “Thank you, Lord” and then promptly parked my car ahead of him and jumped out.

I scared the man with my big fat camera, but I made up for it by befriending him. I took a few minutes to walk and talk with him. That seemed to put him at ease and he didn’t mind that I took his photograph. I think it had been a long time since someone actually wanted to speak to him. I got the feeling that most people naturally avoided him.

Bill has traversed all across the United States, mostly on foot. At one time, he held a job as a construction worker until he lost it. Then he set out for a very long walkabout. He eventually ended up in Sacramento where I was able to meet him that day.

I am continually amazed at the Lord's tender disposition towards His children.

When I ponder Bill’s predicament, it causes me to think of the concept of being “homeless.” Most of us don’t reside on the streets or have a traveling life like Bill’s. However, we can still go through this life as homeless souls, drifting without a place to rest.

If we choose life and commit ourselves to seeking the One who has the power to release us from our sins and sorrow, God is faithful to show us the way home.

"What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it?
Luke 15:4