Monday, June 29, 2009

THE LAND OF THE LIVING

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

~Susan Ertz, Anger in the Sky


At the base of this pear tree lies the tell-tale evidence of when I once cut it down. I had a fanciful notion of building a posh little outdoor deck where I could entertain. The deck never came to fruition as the pear tree never bore fruit. But, at the time I felt justified.

In an extended act of defiance this little fruitless pear showed me up. It grew back with a "you have no power over me" vengeance.


It now stands strong and tall without the benefit of a Sunset magazine deck floating about its heels. The womb that was once empty now swells with gift basket fruit.

This morning I find myself pressed to remember that with death comes new life.

I would have lost heart, unless I had believed
That I would see the goodness of the LORD... Read More
In the land of the living.

Wait on the LORD;
Be of good courage,
And He shall strengthen your heart;
Wait, I say, on the LORD!


-Psalm 27 13-14