Sunday, July 20, 2008

SETTING SAIL

As bed sores are to the bedridden patient,
so are dock wounds to the tethered sailor.


I have spent far too much time clinging to the pier of familiarity.

My timid heart has prevented me from getting in the beautiful wooden boat of courage I was always intended to sail.

The unseen terror of the unknown has deceived me into believing that I am anchored to this port. The dock itself is not without charm or merits of beauty, but I was never meant to stay here.

The irony in my present state is that no matter where I am on the shore, the tempestuous winds of life still manage to find me.

Thankfully though, I serve the Master Captain, the Lord of all creatures - timid and brave alike. He has not given up on me; He continues to put my trembling frame at ease. The evidence of His affection is what allows me to see the beauty of possibility and the vision of sails unfurled.

By virtue of His divine commission, I am granted resolute faithfulness, precise guidance for the course, constant companionship, and no greater love that will now allow me to set sail for a grand adventure.

I sought the LORD, and He heard me........And delivered me from all my fears.
Psalm 34:4