Friday, August 8, 2008

THE LOVE OF A FRIEND


"A blessed thing it is for any man or woman to have a friend, one human soul whom we can trust utterly, who knows the best and worst of us, and who loves us in spite of all our faults."

-Charles Kingsley




Tommorow is my birthday. I consider myself highly fortunate because God has been kind enough to extend my life thus far. It is no small wonder that my life is insulated with a small number of true companions. I have much to be thankful for.

The cards, letters, and flower delivery that my dear friends have sent me have done my heart good. I have the sweetest contingent of friends - all highly gifted and multi-faceted.

One gift came from my spiritual sister Bonnie. She sent me a photograph of her son and my close friend Logan who died of lymphoma a few years ago. The warmth of his smile in the picture made me feel like he was actually here.

Birthdays are best celebrated when you know and sense God's love. I experience a great deal of this marvelous phenomena this through the kindness and kinship of my friends.

Two are better than one,
Because they have a good reward for their labor.
For if they fall, one will lift his companion.
But woe to him who is alone when he falls,
For he has no one to help him up.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10